Thursday, December 20, 2007

Great to be back!

Refreshed is the girl who just came back from Penang. The trip was great!! Alright even though I fell sick on the last day carrying a box of Kleanex everywhere I went, it was great! The food. The company. The whole trip.
My notions of Penang, before I went, was that it was more of a kampong, not so urban place. Which, if you overlook the endless rows of condominiums, hotels, shopping centres, would be quite right. I mean it's not Singapore or KL but it's urban in its own right... and less polluted (which was fantastic).

Expected to do more beach activities there but our direction became more land-based. We didn't even step foot on the beach! Still, sightseeing was great! We took the buses around the island, walked a whole lot, ate & shopped.

The trip has changed my personal outlooks on things somewhat. For one, I've learnt that my feet have the ability to take me for long long walks under hot weather conditions just to find & eat the most famous Penang Laksa. We literally walked for nearly an hour!! Walking down Penang hill and making a V up another street coz' the stall was located near a temple opposite Penang hill. It was crazy! But we were blessed to chance upon stairs & stairs of shops leading up to the temple which gave really good prices!

Another was the great search for Penang's famous Tau Sar Piah shop - Him Haeng. The Haeng family actually has a few outlets calling themselves Seng Haeng, Kim Haeng etc. but Him Haeng is the Mother of all shops & sells the freshest Tau Sar Piah, made on the spot. Our sources came from all the people we met in Penang haha! We literally dragged boxes of it in a huge rice bag from Penang to KL to Singapore. Never thought local delights could be this heavy!

On a whole, I thank God for making this trip so enjoyable, for the people He has brought to us & for keeping us safe & well going there & travelling back even though for a moment we thought we were left stranded in KL. Haha!

So I'm back, refreshed & excited! Christmas is coming! Glory to our new born King!

No comments: