I chanced upon this video while reading an article online. It paralleled a case I'm currently handling with one of my students. In brief, my P1 student's parents are miles high in past debts and struggling to make ends meet. Everyday, is a matter of 'Do I have just enough to send my son to school & go to work?' 'Do I have just enough to feed my son dinner?' 'Will I have a place to stay for more than a week this month?'.
Just SGD$3 is all the mother needs to send her son & herself to school/work each day. Another SGD$3 can buy her son the dinner he needs to sustain his growing years.
Quoting the mother,
The video is a snippet from the documentary - Darwin's Nightmare. It's about street children in Tanzania living in poverty. Thank God, Singaporeans do not have to face such dire situations but think about it. Can you imagine yourself, one day, fighting over a fistful of rice?
Just SGD$3 is all the mother needs to send her son & herself to school/work each day. Another SGD$3 can buy her son the dinner he needs to sustain his growing years.
Quoting the mother,
"As long as my son gets to go to school, is healthy, is safe and has proper meals, I'm happy. It doesn't matter if me or my husband don't get to eat. More important is having money for my son."
She cried through the session, while I held back my tears.
The video is a snippet from the documentary - Darwin's Nightmare. It's about street children in Tanzania living in poverty. Thank God, Singaporeans do not have to face such dire situations but think about it. Can you imagine yourself, one day, fighting over a fistful of rice?
What are we doing for the people in need?
" They shall neither hunger nor thirst,
Neither heat nor sun shall strike them;
For He who has mercy on them will lead them,
Even by the springs of water He will guide them."
- Isaiah 49: 10
Neither heat nor sun shall strike them;
For He who has mercy on them will lead them,
Even by the springs of water He will guide them."
- Isaiah 49: 10
No comments:
Post a Comment