Just came back from a good arvo walk from the 11am pretty church (a methodist church nicknamed for its beautiful steeple & interior, cldn't make it to Summit today) & branch lunch blaranch at Ye Olde Waffle! (it's been a while and having breakfast food for lunch nv tasted so good!) Reckon I could eat scrambled eggs and sausage and hashbrowns and waffles everyday for brekkie.
Anyways, Wed!
Left Cobb around 0900 and met Weichang @ Lenoir for breakfast. Weather started off wet rainy rainy wet!! My sneaks nearly soaked through again. Think I may get some water repellent spray for my shoes come December. Silent UNC stood amidst the strong winds and downpour, providing shelter to stray students waiting for the last minute of the 10am curfew to leave their dorms.
Heather came and picked us up in this red truck/ute to her home at Airport Road, Chapel Hill. Her girls, especially Olivia, were hyperly excited as their mum forewarned haha! but I adore them so! We stopped by Whole foods to run some errands & pick up aromatic hot chai & some groceries for Thanksgiving Lunch the next day. Gosh. It was packed!! Never seen so many shoppers... kinda reminder me of Times Square NY rush hour. Everyone was doing last minute shopping for the big feast!
We had a simple family dinner and ended the night watching "An Inconvenient Truth". Starring Al Gore & his campaign for global warming awareness. Honestly, couldn't really appreciate the docu. Though learnt a whole lot more about glaciers melting, the amount of countries with below-sealevel land structures and that the world's fiercest storms and droughts occurred in the recent 8 years from 1998 to 2006.
Never have I slept better in the entire time I'm here. A full 10hours of sleep on both nights! It was great! Thanksgiving lunch was spent at Heather's friend's place. Seemed more like a self-serve buffet table style lunch thing with a full table of desserts & pies!! OMGOSH the apple pie, pecan pie & pumpkin pies were delish! Not to forget the turkey & stuffing, pecan salad, pecan pumpkin & a whole lot more. Think at the end of this break I've had at least 3 meals worth of thanksgiving all over again!
Heather's family was wonderful! Will always remember God's blessing in their hospitality, joy, love, concern and care and I pray that they'll continue to share their joy & love with future internationals to come! The family's house was small, cosy and really woody hippie arty though it felt home. Arrived back at UNC to get picked up by Kate for the part deux in Walburg, Winston Salem.
Kate's family and house was sooooooo beautiful!! I've got videos of the place that I secretly sneaked out to take haha! I couldn't help it! Her mum really decorated the place wonderfully! Met up at Shannon's place for horseriding the next day! Shannon, Kate and Emily are housemates and their families stay really close to each other. Shannon's whole family in the the horse business - more training, showing & we got to ride her prized horse! Ok I forgot the name but he's a beautiful white/grey stud & so gentle & obedient! Ok after the whole horseriding thing I kinda had more of a bias for Shannon's dogs haha! 2 Aussie sheepdogs and Missy was my fav!
Lunch was @ Emily's with her mum cooking up a storm again! Had my last russian tea, homemade pumpkin pie & soup & brownie cake & said final goodbyes to her family & Sugar before we all parted. I'll sure miss them & the russian tea. After that Kate & I went shopping. Note to self: Weather-worthy coat? Check. Weather-worthy shoes? Ok partly check. Bought this pair of navy Timberland sneaks, black opentoe slip-on heels & grey/white/black 4-in-1 jacket that were ridiculously half price?!? What was once $169 now is $60!! *Jaw drop. They call it Black Friday. Why? Coz that's when stores nation-wide finally recover their sales and write in black ink instead of red (for losses).
All in all, Thanksgiving was fantastic! It's amazing how many things you can squeeze in before the sun sets. Kinda sad that it's really the only time I can really spend whatever time's left with dear friends I've grown so attached.
*Snap* and Thanksgiving's over. Here comes grace before the mug for exams.
No comments:
Post a Comment